Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Garbanzo beans Curry


This is a regular curry that I cook often in my kitchen. Once in a while, I keep switching the spices and ingredients though. Sometimes I use store bought garam masala or use lot of spices. Recently, I have been cooking most of the dishes with less spices and without onion and garlic.  I feel no difference in terms of experience and fulfillment. In fact, I like it more :)

Yield: 4 to 6 Servings

Ingredients
Garbanzo Beans: 2 cup (soaked dry beans overnight or canned)
Tomatoes:3 (medium size)
Mustard Seeds:  ¼ table spoon
Cumin Powder:  ½ table spoon
Coriander Powder: ½ table spoon
Turmeric: ¼ table spoon
Cooking Oil: 3 table spoon 
Cloves (5)
Bay Leaves (2)
Cilantro for garnish
Fresh Ginger (small piece), few Green Chilies (optional)
Salt to taste
Directions:
Combine ginger and tomato, blend it to puree, put aside.

Heat oil in a pressure cooker. You can also boil garbanzo beans until tender and cook in a pan.  I normally use pressure cooker as it is convenient for me and is quicker to cook. 

Crack some mustard seeds, add cloves and bay leaves. Add tomato puree, turmeric powder, cumin-coriander powder and stir occasionally until the oil starts to separate. Add garbanzo beans, salt to taste, chilli and mix until all ingredients are well coated.


Add a cup of warm water and close the pressure cooker and cook in medium heat for 7-8 minutes or until 4-5 whistle. Remove from heat and let it sit for a while until the steam is gone.  


 Garnish with cilantro and serve it hot with rice or roti. Enjoy the curry with cilantro rice and tomato chutney.













No comments:

Post a Comment